01 June 2013

Annotated Game #94: How to defeat yourself in the last round of a tournament

This last-round tournament game followed Annotated Game #92 and is a great example of how to defeat yourself using (bad) attitude alone.  I was generally more concerned with getting the game over and the logistics of departing after the tournament, rather than winning the game or playing well.  Since then, I have always made sure to not have any outside considerations affect my last-round games.  This means when traveling I'll stay over in the hotel, which is much more mentally relaxing in any event.

The game itself deserved much better than the attention I gave it.  There are a lot of thematic ideas for both White and Black in a Classical Caro-Kann, including: the sacrificial variation 17. Nxf7!? and what Black could have done to prevent it; the ...c5 break, which could have given Black some initiative even after queenside castling; the dynamic value of minor pieces and the advantage of the two bishops (which Black unusually acquires); and what not to do in a bishop vs. knight endgame.

This was also another game that illustrated the drawbacks of not having a systematic thinking process with an important but subtle example on move 25, where Black should have asked "what changed?" after White's move and then could have found a much stronger continuation.

1 comment:

  1. Oops. I guess I posted my comment after a May entry. See below. J

    ReplyDelete