03 August 2013

Annotated Game #100: The Fun Milner-Barry Gambit

Inspired by a recent Brooklyn64 post on a swashbuckling Milner-Barry Gambit in the French Defense, here is my one and only tournament game featuring it.  This was played early in my scholastic career when I was still an e4 player and had a low Class C rating.

I had relatively little idea at the time how to most effectively conduct attacking play, but the gambit nevertheless showed promise against my significantly higher-rated opponent, a veteran of the local tournament scene.  For White players who hate facing the French, it's an fun way to take it on while avoiding typical position types.

1 comment:

  1. Just ran across another recent Milner-Barry game over at GM David Smerdon's blog, he actually played it against legendary Dutch GM Jan Timman!

    http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1096

    ReplyDelete