17 March 2014

Reloader tactic: Candidates 2014 - Round 2

I could not pass up the chance to highlight the following reloader tactic, which I think is an outstanding example of the concept, in this game from Round 2 of the ongoing Candidates tournament.  Conceptually, one can see that the Black queen has very few squares and is nearly trapped; it just requires understanding how to trap it, which in this case means moving a knight to e4 - twice in a row.  Also another useful example in a broader sense of the importance of CCT, in this case the threat being to trap the queen, regardless of the fact that the first knight can be taken.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see the practical application of tactics, even ( especially ?) at such a level.

    The link directs me of the Weteschnik book. Probably the first real tactics book I bought when I re-started chess a few years ago, and a timely reminder to pick it up and review it again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is still the best I've seen on tactics and for those who haven't seen the post on it, it's worth reviewing.

      Delete