09 April 2013

Training quote of the day #2: Roger Zelazny

I fear Benedict.  He is unlike any other being in Shadow or reality.  He is the Master of Arms for Amber.  Can you conceive of a millennium?  A thousand years?  Several of them?  Can you understand a man who, for almost every day of a lifetime like that, has spent some time dwelling with weapons, tactics, strategies?  Because you see him in a tiny kingdom, commanding a small militia, with a well-pruned orchard in his back yard, do not be deceived.  All that there is of military science thunders in his head.  He has often journeyed from shadow to shadow, witnessing variation after variation on the same battle, with but slightly altered circumstances, in order to test his theories of warfare.  He has commanded armies so vast that you could watch them march by day after day and see no end to the columns.  Although he is inconvenienced by the loss of his arm, I would not wish to fight him either with weapons or barehanded.  It is fortunate that he has no designs upon the throne, or he would be occupying it right now.  If he were, I believe that I would give up at this moment and pay him homage.  I fear Benedict.
From The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    You reminded me of one of the first novels I ever read, maybe as a kid of 12 or 13. It was Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny. I may well try and pick up a copy and re-read it. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I actually liked the short story version better, I have to admit.

      Delete

Your comments and ideas on chess training and this site are welcomed.

Please note that moderation is turned on as an anti-spam measure; your comment will be published as soon as possible, if it is not spam.